"It is difficult to overstate the importance of energy efficiency, which is nearly always cost effective in the long run, helps cut emissions, and enhances energy security. ...Yet, a lack of incentives and noneconomic barriers continue to block broader uptake" (International Energy Agency - Energy Technology Perspectives 2012)
The project has two key objectives:
- To prove financial and environmental gains for end users (households), by using smart, user-friendly and integrated technological solutions
- To make end users "care more" by raising awareness about their own energy consumption
The project will also shed light on exploiting AMS deployment as a tool to enable energy efficiency on a large scale.
The project has recruited 40 households with the following requirements:
- They must have electrical power as the main energy source.
- The households must have submitted accurate meter readings in the course of the past year, or have participated in an ongoing AMS-pilot with automatic meter readings, so that consumption before and after the installation of smart equipment can be effectively measured and documented. (Temperature correction of readings must be possible)
- Project participation requires installation of the latest AMS meters paired with a Smart House Controller (brain/ECU) .
- Project participation requires an existing broadband connection.
Households have installed:
- Smart management of three heating zones, with scheduling and the possibility of remote control via tablets, smart phones and the web.
- Management of up to seven lighting sources, with scheduling and the possibility of remote control via tablets, smart phones and the web (multi-level management ) .
- Pressure switches with inbuilt "scenario-switches" (day/night and home/away ) to simplify the management of devices/services/rooms and the entire house.
- New AMS-based power meter Smart Home Controller for the intelligent management of all devices ("home brain"). This will be an integral component in the future of welfare technology & alarm services .
- Access to an application that can be installed on users' own tablets , smart phones and on the web.
This application provides :
- Control options for both light and heat in the same interface
- Consumption display
- Increased simplicity through scenario management, whereby the combination of light and heat can be very easily controlled, both at room and house levels.
- Remote control of light/heat through different levels .
We believe that simplicity will strengthen both energy awareness and the impact of smart management. Heat and light can be controlled even when the homeowners are not home, by using an online service.
The project has a duration of two years to prove the annual and incremental effect of the new smart solutions.
Analysis and Evaluation
The project aims to identify the use of, interest in, and finally, the impact of energy efficiency systems. This will be done by assessing:
- Calculating the effect of introducing an energy efficiency system, by studying consumption before installation and in year 1 and year 2 after installation in order to compare and assess development.
- collected usage data from the pressure switches and the user interface will be used to analyse preferences
- Interview of household members to reveal the users of the various components (pressure switches, tablet etc.) and their relationship to the system and energy conservation in general (awareness) . Usage, gender and age will be factored in the interviews.
- How have the solutions affected the entire household ?
Degree of Innovation:
The customized control interface and usage overview, designed to engage the end user and the simple management of all services, regardless of the user's age or prior knowledge gives the project a high degree of innovation.
Common platform :
- Allows for convergent services and increased savings
- Easy to upgrade centrally with new functionality and smarter algorithms
- Simplifies the integration of future services (energy services such as spot price, "demand-response" and load control as well as safety and welfare services)
- Provides significant savings through large-scale deployment . It is delivered as a 2-way communicating, hosted service, with automatic fault detection and monitoring. Quality of service is also guaranteed, unlike current solutions which are "standalone" deliveries without control and monitoring.